|Adopted January 2019|
Standing Rules: PDF HTML
- The name of this organization shall be the California Teachers Association-Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer+ Caucus (CTA-LGBTQ+C).
- The CTA-LGBTQ+C is established for the following purposes:
- To protect the rights and interests of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer+ members of the Association and their supporters.
- To promote recognition of the special needs and rights of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender and queer+ youth.
- To advance understanding and acceptance of lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer+ people in all areas of society.
ARTICLE II - MEMBERSHIP
- Categories of membership (see Appendix A)
- Voting membership shall be open to all persons who are active, student, retired, or life members of CTA..
- Associate membership shall be open to all persons who support the CTA-LGBTQ+C.
- Membership shall become effective upon payment of dues. (see Appendix A)
- The membership year shall be from July 1 to June 30.
- Membership lists shall be confidential and used by the Officers of the CTA-LGBTQ+C for CTA-LGBTQ+C business.
ARTICLE III - OFFICERS
- The Officers shall be two (2) Co-Chairs (one male or non-binary and one female or non-binary), a Secretary, and a Treasurer.
- The Female or Non-Binary Co-Chair and the Treasurer shall be elected in odd numbered years. The Male or Non-Binary Co-Chair and the Secretary shall be elected in even numbered years.
- The Co-Chairs shall call and preside at meetings and make committee appointments as necessary.
- The Secretary shall record the minutes of each meeting, keep attendance records, and be responsible for keeping an accurate record of the Bylaws and Standing Rules.
- The Treasurer shall receive and have custody of all funds collected by the CTA-LGBTQ+C, pay bills as authorized by the Co-Chairs, provide for an annual financial statement, and maintain accurate membership records.
ARTICLE IV - STEERING COMMITTEE
- The Steering Committee shall be composed of the Officers, one (1) Director-at-Large and, one (1) Ethnic Minority Director-at-Large and four (4) Regional Directors.
- The Director-at-Large shall be elected for a two-year team in odd numbered years.
- The Ethnic Minority Director shall be elected for a two-year term in even numbered years.
- The Regional Directors shall be elected for a two-year term as follows: Region 1 and 3 in odd numbered years and Regions 2 and 4 in even numbered years.
- The Student CTA (SCTA) Liaison will be selected each year according to SCTA procedures. The SCTA Liaison will serve a one-year term (July 1-June 30) on the CTA-LGBTQ+C Steering Committee.
- The Steering Committee shall operate between State Council meetings and shall act as the governing board of the CTA-LGBTQ+C. In addition, the Steering Committee shall recommend an annual budget, recommend changes in the Bylaws as needed, and aid the Co-Chairs in preparing agendas
- Steering Committee members are expected to contribute a minimum of two articles for publication in the CTA-LGBTQ+C newsletter.
ARTICLE V - STANDING COMMITTEES/TASK FORCES
- Standing Committees and Task Forces, and their chairs, shall be appointed by the CTA-LGBTQ+C Co-Chairs.
ARTICLE VI - MEETINGS
- There shall be at least one (1) meeting of the CTA-LGBTQ+C at each CTA State Council meeting.
- A quorum shall consist of the members present.
ARTICLE VII- NOMINATIONS AND ELECTIONS
- Nomination and election of Officers shall be held at the last meeting of the CTA State Council of the school year under procedures established in the Standing Rules.
- Candidates for office shall be Voting (Category A), dues-paying members of the CTA-LGBTQ+C.
- Only Voting (Category A) dues-paying members shall be allowed to vote for officers.
- Officers shall take office as the last order of business at the last meeting of the CTA-LGBTQ+C at the last CTA State Council meeting of the school year.
ARTICLE VIII- VACANCIES
- If a vacancy occurs in any office, the CTA-LGBTQ+C Steering Committee may appoint a replacement until the last State Council meeting when the unexpired term will be filled by election.
ARTICLE IX- FINANCE
- Dues for membership shall be established no later than the third CTA State Council meeting of the CTA-LGBTQ+C. There shall be a reduced rate for Student CTA members.
ARTICLE XI - STANDING RULES
- In addition to the Bylaws, the CTA-LGBTQ+C shall be governed by such Standing Rules as the CTA-LGBTQ+C adopts.
ARTICLE XII - PARLIAMENTARY AUTHORITY
- The latest edition of Robert’s Rules of Order shall govern all matters not covered by the Bylaws or Standing Rules.
ARTICLE XIII - AMENDMENTS
- Amendments to these Bylaws must be submitted in writing at a meeting of the CTA-LGBTQ+C.
- Amendments to these Bylaws will be voted on at a meeting of the CTA-LGBTQ+C at the first State Council meeting after submissions
- Voting on amendments shall be by secret ballot and requires a two-thirds (2/3) vote of the Voting (Category A) members present and voting for adoption.
- Proposed amendments shall become effective immediately upon passage.
MEMBERSHIP CATEGORIES Active Membership - Individual $ 20 CTA members, staff, retired and life. Full voting rights. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Joint NEA/CTA Membership - Individual $ 40 Full voting rights. Must be a member of both NEA & CTA. Includes NEA & CTA GLBTC memberships, NEA-GLBTC newsletters, and $5 discount for joining both NEA & CTA at the same time. Associate - Individual $ 10 CTA-GLBTC supporter (need not be an CTA member). No voting rights. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Joint NEA/CTA Membership - Associate $ 20 NEA & CTA-GLBTC supporter (need not be an CTA or NEA member). No voting rights. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Student/Retired - Individual $ 5 CTA student member or retired. Full voting rights. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Joint NEA/CTA Membership - Student/ Retired $ 10 NEA and CTA student member or retired. Full voting rights. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Active Membership - Married/Domestic Partner/Civil Union $ 35 2 CTA members, staff, retired and life residing at same address. Full voting rights for both members. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Active Membership - Married/Domestic Partner/Civil Union $ 30 1 CTA member & 1 non-members, staff, retired and life residing at same address. Full voting rights for CTA members ONLY. Receive newsletters, and informational emails. Joint NEA/CTA Membership - Married/Domestic Partner/Civil Union $ 80 Both members of CTA/NEA. Full voting rights. Includes NEA & CTA GLBTC memberships, NEA-GLBTC newsletters. Joint NEA/CTA Membership - Married/Domestic Partner/Civil Union $ 65 One CTA/NEA member. Full voting rights for CTA/NEA member only. Includes NEA & CTA GLBTC memberships, NEA-GLBTC newsletters.